‘Cause You are The Captain of Your Life

Selasa, Oktober 23, 2018

Before two historic-great-awesome events, Asian Games and Asian Para Games 2018, that I had golden opportunity to be a part of, I had drama scene with my mom. We both had a little bit argument until my mom gave up and said “Whatever” to me.

It’s about my choice of my life.

As we know, Asian Games 2018 was held from August 18th to September 2nd. At that time I was still a university student. I did my thesis defence but didn’t graduate yet. My graduation was on September 3oth. And before the Asian Games had started even before I’d passed my thesis defence, I’d already applied for several jobs. I got several calls to have interviews and the best and the closest one was a vacancy in a company that my friend works there.

I got the vacancy from my friend, my elementary school friend to be exact. Long time no see since we’d graduated from that school, we met again because another elementary school friend is married and we came to the wedding. I was with him on the motorcycle and we had a talk. In this age and this state, when we meet the old friend we must ask about his/her condition, right? It will be about his/her school or work if he/she hasn’t married yet and that was what I did.

At that time he hasn't come to uni yet but already entered ‘the real world’ that many people tell me about it lately for four years. So long! And it’s not kidding compared to me who is arrogant with my one year experience as a freelance Indonesian tutor at one course. Huh.

It was started when I asked his condition and he told me that he just moved to another new company, a consultant-construction company as an accountant. Then, I told him that I was looking for a job too. I’d already applied for many positions but hadn’t got any call for the interview yet. Then he offered me a position that the company need.

In short, I sent my application letter and CV to him and his friend. I did my best for it with all of my document and experience I have. Not really long, only about a week, I got a call to come to the office for an interview.

Before the interview, I researched first as usually the job seeker do. I should know very at least about the company I applied for. When I arrived at the office, I little bit shocked because it’s not literally office that I imagine but a house used as an office. Not bad but didn’t match with my expectation but they had not-small and not-bad handled project cooperated with the government. No joke!

Oh yea! The position I was applied was for an HRD staff. Cool, nah? Yash of course! I even surprised for this because I never imagine applying for this position as a not-yet fresh graduate at that time with none idea about HRD and HRD was not an easy position for a fresh graduate like me.

But I passed the first interview and another call came for the second one. I came and it was not a difficult nor long interview. What we talked about were only about how much I wanted to be paid and what date I was able to start my job for that position.

Wanna know what said to them?
I said I could start it as soon as possible. But! But…  I would be a volunteer for Asian Games 2018 and I didn’t want to cancel that because I applied for it and I committed to being a part of it, I shouldn’t break my own agreement that I made by myself and I didn’t respect it if I break it by myself consciously.

I took training and I learned many things from it. My statement at that interview session was what I got from the training; to be responsible, to be committed and to respect your words. Why? ‘Cause nobody will beside you. The other will respect your words if you do. Besides that, I learn to be firm too from that training and to be clear since the beginning. That’s why I told them in the first hand before I start to work other than I can’t lie and I’m not a good liar.

Then… they were curious about my reason to joint that event.
When you read this part, you may think I’m a naïve or hypocrite but whatever you think, this is my motivation.
It’s a little bit normative but I wanted it because I wanted to be an international actor of the international event as an international relations major student. It was a precious moment and opportunity that I might not meet again in the future. It was scarce and I didn’t wanna miss it at all. Moreover, I wanted to exercise my foreign languages skills, English and Korean besides I wanted to extend my link and make more friends.
They said, my very first reason is so an-IR-student. I just laughed ‘cause I don’t think so, I don’t know why. Haha.

After that, after we negotiated about my fee for this position and after my story about willingness to Asian Games, the head HRD division asked me about how much I would get from this event. I answered, IDR 300K per day and he suddenly closed his mouth and remained silent. He calculated so did I. It’s much more than the fee they offer or even others company offer for the fresh graduate. And he didn’t brave enough to offer more than number I would get from Asian Games 2018.

And ouch! Actually, I hadn’t known about it before I applied for this. I didn’t apply it for money at all. Nope! I do need money but I don’t wanna earn it from this event. Seriously! It wasn’t my major motivation. I just knew that lately before the game started and I didn’t think about it too much because it wasn’t what I really looking for.

At the end of the interview session, they both said, they were so interested in me but unfortunately, I would be hard for them to let me in right after the interview ended and started to work but should skip many work days because of volunteering of Asian Games 2018. It would hard for them to count my fee so did about my permission from the boss. But! They promised me about something, they told me that they would try to lobby their boss to allow me to enter the company but may skip for volunteering, either no one could guarantee it. They only said they would call me if there was no other strong candidate for this position.

Unfortunately, no call I was getting from that company until now. And this is what made my mom angry with me. Even until I finished my duty at Asian Para Games 2018, she still mentions about it. My argument is very simple to respond it, if I didn’t make that decision, I won’t be like it, be like now, with all result I got and brought home, will all result and stories my mom knows and listens about it.

Wanna know about my story during the Asian Para Games 2018?
It will exist in the next post! Be patient and pray the best for me to get much positive energy to write it all HAHA.

Here what I do really want to say to you guys whoever who read my blog.



You are captain of your life. You are the one who runs your life and live it. You are the major power of it. Your life depends on you, not the others. Whoever they are, they can only suggest and advice even comment or critics you about your life but in the end, you are the decision maker of your life. It’s sound selfish and self-centrist maybe but it should be this way.

You are the captain of your life, you are the decision maker of it. So, you have to be responsible about it with every single thing about it, the success or the failure you will get, with every risk and opportunity you will have. You can't blame the others for what happen in your life ‘cause it will back to you, you who made the decision and choose what you want in your life.

It was not easy for many people but doesn’t mean it really hard to do until it seems impossible. No! not at all! If you can’t be clear for yourself and your life, the other will make it clear for you and further they will control you unconsciously. You have to be strong and tough to fight your life ‘cause there is no weak and blur fighter and captain.

Hope this post little bit enlighten and help you.
Good luck to you!
And good luck to me!

Good luck for us!

You Might Also Like

0 komentar